Integrated and highly customized legal and business advice
We advise an international community of clients during the structuring, negotiating and the successful completion of their complex, multidisciplinary and often cross-border projects. Subsequently, we provide day-to-day assistance on a broad range of matters.
Acknowledged by clients as highly effective problem solvers, our partners have been involved in virtually all ground-breaking energy and natural resources projects implemented in Romania over the past decade.
Our clients include private equity firms, multinational companies, family owned businesses, start-ups and individuals.
The best translation of legal jargon into commercially relevant advice
We understand our clients’ businesses and have comprehensive understanding of the industries they operate in. Clients come to us for our capabilities and the resources in helping them choose and implement the most suitable solutions for achieving their strategic goals. Our assistance covers the following practice areas:
Banking and Finance
Our expertise consists in working with banks as well as corporate borrowers and lessees on their finance transactions. We advise on the structuring, documentation and negotiation of banking and finance-related matters, specializing in:
- acquisition finance
- asset finance
- debt restructuring and insolvency
- project finance
- real estate finance
- regulatory and compliance
- sale and acquisition of individual non-performing loans (NPLs) or NPL portfolios
Corporate and M&A
We advise on a broad range of matters, from day-to-day corporate assistance to complex M&A deals.
We offer fully integrated legal and tax advice and clients choose us for our genuine understanding of their businesses and a thorough knowledge of their industries.
Our expertise covers:
- assistance to various international corporations in relation to the structuring and the successful implementation of numerous cross border mergers, restructuring and spin-off projects;
- assistance in connection with acquisitions (including on the stock exchange market), joint ventures, minority investments and business transfer transactions (due diligence, regulatory matters, transaction structuring and carry-out, drafting and negotiating sale purchase agreements, shareholders agreements, as well as other related agreements);
- regulatory and corporate governance assistance to multinational corporations.
Clients often acknowledge us as deal facilitators bringing together business people and financial investors to capitalize on various opportunities.
Competition and EU Law
Our expertise covers the full range of competition and antitrust issues including merger control, cartels and other anti-competitive agreements, abuse of dominance/market power, market/sector investigations and state aid.
We focus primarily on energy, communications, food and beverage. We always apply our up-to-date industry knowledge quickly to competition issues in what are frequently dynamic and rapidly changing circumstances.
Our team has an all-encompassing expertise in the analysis of EU law (including during the law-making process) and has been involved in drafting competition related national legislation and in structuring complex state aid projects.
We know that our involvement in potential disputes from early stages can lead to the avoidance of costly litigation. Clients value our approach of risk assessment and we like to assist and support disagreeing parties reach a convenient settlement.
When litigation is a must, we take time to truly understand all aspects (legal, business, technical) and deliver outstanding representation before the national or arbitrational courts in any matter covered by our practice areas.
Our team has advised companies in relation to envisaged claims in front of the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) on matters such as changes of fiscal legislation or to the support scheme for renewable energy. Furthermore, we have extensive knowledge of human rights related legislation and case law.
Our partners have been involved in virtually all major oil & gas and natural resources projects implemented in Romania over the past years.
Our practice is recognized by clients for its proven understanding of key technical and business matters. Our expertise covers:
- assistance related to all the regulatory aspects of traditional and renewable energy, including energy trading, electricity transmission and gas transmission, electricity and gas distribution and supply;
- assistance related to the structuring and negotiation of transactions consisting of farm-in agreements and acquisition of oil & gas or other natural resources licenses;
- assistance during all stages (from exploration to development and production) of onshore and offshore oil & gas projects;
- assistance in relation to the entire process of implementing mining projects (from acquiring a mining license via tender or transfer to acquiring the land and obtaining all necessary permits and authorizations).
Additionally, on behalf of our clients, we are actively involved in the public discussions and negotiations between industry leaders, policy-makers and government representatives.
We have been continuously engaged in the process of amending the existing legislation with the purpose of implementing EU law and/or creating the legal framework necessary to cover certain grey areas.
Environmental and Regulatory
The environmental and regulatory legislation in Romania constantly undergoes significant changes aimed at ensuring alignment with EU legislation and at clearing unregulated areas. Moreover, regulators themselves are starting to become better equipped to pursue those that are deemed to fall short of the legal requirements.
Environmental and regulatory matters seem to be among the most “feared” aspects for foreign investors. Knowing how to navigate the landscape of rules and rule-makers in a transparent and pragmatic is vital. Although Romanian regulatory proceedings may be burdensome, they can be managed to the satisfaction of our clients. We offer solutions and put them in practice for our clients rather than only identifying problems.
Our team has been involved in all stages of developing highly complex regulatory projects in industries such as oil & gas, mining or manufacturing, efficiently collaborating with all competent authorities to successfully finalize them within the initially estimated deadlines.
Additionally, we have been continuously involved in the process of amending existing legislation, as well as in creating new one.
We deliver straight to the point, pragmatic solutions on all aspects related to employment law.
Our expertise covers a broad range of matters from issues pertaining to employment agreements or agreements with directors and consultants (including dismissal and redundancy) to regulatory issues and investigations.
Since we understand the importance of IP matters to every business, we develop and implement legal strategies aimed at maximizing and protecting the commercial potential of brands, ideas and technologies.
Our legal services cover both contentious and non-contentious aspects and we advise on:
- IP issues in M&A and finance transactions;
- patents, trademarks, trade names, domain names, copyright and design matters;
- regulatory, marketing and advertising issues.
Privacy and Data protection
We support clients in implementing the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and help them navigate through the complicated data protection framework.
We are currently advising companies on matters such as:
- conducting GDPR compliance audits;
- preparation and implementation of action plans, tailored privacy policies and training sessions for their teams;
- structuring the relationship between data controllers and data processors.
Our expertise also covers:
- assistance with the audit, breach response and notification requirements, in case of data breaches;
- cookie auditing and implementation of changes to cookie behavior.
- data transfer compliance advice and assistance in the process of drafting and negotiating the transfer contracts.
Real Estate and Construction
We provide specialist advice and support across a wide range of real estate transactions to domestic and international businesses, developers, investment funds and banks.
We offer a one stop shop for real estate legal services from acquisition and planning, to construction, commissioning, disposal and asset management, encompassing both commercial and residential property. Our expertise covers:
- assistance in relation to the acquisition/ disposal of lands and/or buildings (e.g., due diligence, mortgage agreements, sale purchase agreements, transfer of title and creation of real estate rights)
- assistance in relation to the entire process related to constructions (e.g., zoning and planning, regulatory process, construction contracts, including FIDIC agreements)
- assistance in relation to the drafting and negotiation of lease agreements
- day to day management of projects